Shelby State Bank - Ludington
Banks / Credit Unions
The Shelby State Bank opened its doors for business on November 20, 1931 just a few short months after Churchill & Webber, a private bank, was forced to close its doors amidst the trying economic times of The Great Depression. The people of Shelby were quick to realize the importance of having a community bank and within a few weeks, ninety-five local people had signed applications for stock in a new bank ? The Shelby State Bank. Upon approval by state banking authorities, The Shelby State Bank opened for business and on its first day, over one-hundred accounts were established. Within roughly a month?s time, the bank reported assets of $79,000.00 and was returning a profit for its investors. Located in the old Opera House in downtown Shelby from 1931 to 1966, a new building was constructed and over the years saw several significant expansions and renovations, the most recent in 2005. Today Shelby State Bank operates from a state of the art banking facility and continues to be a cornerstone of the Shelby community. Along with its main office in Shelby, Shelby State Bank operates eight additional full-service banking facilities, which serve a total of five west Michigan counties. Shelby State Bank?s branch banking facilities are conveniently located in the following communities: Shelby Hesperia Hart Pentwater Whitehall North Muskegon Fruitport Ludington Manistee Today, Shelby Financial Corporation, the holding company for The Shelby State Bank, has numerous shareholders, many of whom are descendants of the bank?s original investors. The Shelby State Bank continues to be highly rated by both bank regulatory agencies and independent bank ratings companies. Everyone at Shelby State Bank, from our dedicated staff, to our experienced management, to our committed directors strives to adhere to the principles of community banking and demonstrate why our motto remains: ''Where Banking is Still a People Business!''