Mason County Historical Society
- Attractions / Entertainment / Museums
Mason County Historical Society (MCHS) dates back to November 30, 1937, when it was formally organized. The Society is the parent, tax-exempt non-profit (501-c-3) State of Michigan Corporation that administers, manages, and operates Historic White Pine Village, a Research Library, and the new Port of Ludington Maritime Museum. Each component provides our area’s residents and visitors a vibrant cultural asset.
Mason County Historical Society is managed by: an executive director, a managing director, and two site managers with oversight by a Board of Directors from the local community. The organization relies heavily on many volunteers in its operation.
Historic White Pine Village (HWPV) opened in 1976 and is situated on 13 acres of land on the Buttersville peninsula, near the shores of Lake Michigan. The Village boasts 30 historic exhibit buildings, including the original 1849 Mason County Courthouse, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Research Library (RL) is located in Historic White Pine Village Visitor Center and is used by local historians, residents, and family members of past residents for family genealogy and lumbering and maritime history research.
The Port of Ludington Maritime Museum (PLMM), opening June 10, 2017, is located in the former 1934 US Coast Guard Station, a landmark on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum provides visitors with a captivating look at the rich maritime heritage of Ludington and the greater West Michigan region, anchors Mason County as a tourist destination, and is a year-round attraction.
- 30 Museum Buildings and Sites
- Thousands of artifacts depiction Mason County's history.
- Special Events throughout the season
- Old Time Baseball matches
- Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor
Whom to Contact
- Rebecca BerringerExecutive DirectorPhone: (231) 843-4808Fax: (231) 843-7089
- Michelle DeKuiperSite Manager1687 S Lakeshore DriveLudington, MI 49431Phone: 231-843-4808 x104
- Eric HarmsenPLMM Site Manager1687 S Lakeshore DriveLudington, MI 49431Phone: (231) 843-4808
Just south of Ludington. Take Pere Marquette Hwy. south 2 miles from the airport. Then west 1 1/2 miles on Iris Road, and north 1/2 mile on South Lakeshore Drive. From US31, take exit 166,